When the body of Howard Hughes landed in Houston, Texas back in 1976 the medical examiners office was ready to take possession of the body for an autopsy. So the questions is – did he really have 3-inch long fingernails as reported in the media?
The one hour and forty minute autopsy on the 70-year-old billionaire was performed by officials at Methodist Hospital. Hughes’ body, which once stood tall at 6’4″, was so emaciated that he’d shrunk two inches in height. He weighed just 90 pounds, and his face was partly covered by a beard and mustache.
Though there were many rumors about Hughes since he’d gone into seclusion years earlier, the medical examiner emphasized that the eccentric Hughes did not have three-inch long fingernails, he simply looked like an aged man who had been bedridden for months. Several years later Hughes personal physician, Dr. Wilbur Thain, revealed that he believed Hughes had died from “prolonged, massive doses of aspirin”.
Final Resting Place:
2525 Washington Avenue
Houston, Texas, 77007
Grave Location:Oakdale Section
Grave Location Description
The large Hughes Family memorial is located at the intersection of Sections Oakdale, Oakdale West and Little Hillside directly on the small side road.
Grave Location GPS29.763433754091217, -95.38737071722998
Visiting The Grave:
Read More About Howard Hughes:
- Published Obituary
- Wikipedia Entry
- Beverly Hills Home Where Howard Hughes Crashed Plane Lists For $14.9M
- The Many Loves of Howard Hughes
- 'Rules Don't Apply': Quirky mogul Howard Hughes still fascinates film world
- 7 Things You May Not Know About Howard Hughes
- Howard Hughes is injured in 1946 plane crash
- Eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes dies aged 70
- Home of the Late Howard Hughes Sells in Lake Tahoe