Those responsible for the murder/execution of Joe Arridy include:
- Sheriff George Carroll who first arrested Joe Arridy. He managed in less than two hours a full and complete confession to the murder of Dorothy Drain. Problem was that Pueblo police officers already had a full confession and a murder weapon from the actual killer. This didn’t seem to bother Sheriff Carroll much as he not only amended the confession over time to match with the actual facts of the case, but testified at trail that Joe was mentally competent to stand trial. Despite three psychologist stating otherwise, the jury sided with the unethical, aggressive lawman.
- Pueblo County District Attorney French Taylor fabricated witness, testimony, events and withheld evidence of Arridy’s innocence to secure a conviction and death sentence.
- Pueblo County Judge Harry Leddy who allowed this travesty of justice to play-out in his courtroom.
Joe Arridy was given a full pardon nearly 70 years after being executed by the state of Colorado.
Final Resting Place:
14959 S 1st Street
Cañon City, Colorado, 81215
Grave Location:Woodpecker Hill
Grave Location Description
The Joe Arridy monument is located in the back along the fence line in this forsaken prison and pioneer cemetery. As you enter the cemetery take the 4th left turn and drive to the end at the trail that leads up the hill. His monument is easy to spot as it is the only actual tombstone located in this paupers section, however it is a bit of a walk on a dirt trail to the back of the cemetery on the small hill.
Grave Location GPS38.426762214309754, -105.2483307139321
Read More About Joe Arridy:
- Wikipedia Entry
- The Happiest Man on Death Row
- Joe Arridy: The Mentally Disabled Man Who Went Smiling In The Gas Chamber For The Murder He Didn’t Commit
- Justice Denied In Colorado: Joe Arridy Visits ‘Roy's Penthouse.’
- Inmates Thorny History Calls Out From the Grave
- Begging for Joe Arridy's Pardon 70 Years After the Execution
- Reflections - Friends of Joe Arridy