Woody Hayes had an intense hatred and rivalry for Michigan, and referred to them as “That School Up North”. Once while returning from a game in Michigan, the team bus was dangerously low on fuel. Coach Hayes refused to allow the driver to stop to refuel in Michigan, stating they would push the bus to Ohio before he would let the state of Michigan get any of his money.
And then there was his dark side. Speaking at a football banquet in 1969, Hayes spoke about the recently revealed My Lai Massacre. He stated that the Vietnamese men in My Lai deserved to die, “and I wouldn’t be so sure those women were innocent. The children are obviously innocent – if they are less than five.”
On March 11, 1987, Hayes was clearly in failing health when he had someone drive him in his pickup truck to Dayton to introduce Bo Schembechler, who was speaking at a banquet. Organizers had tried to discourage Hayes from attending, but Hayes insisted. He gave a lengthy introduction to Schembechler and then stayed to hear him speak before being driven back home. The next morning, March 12, Hayes’s wife Anne found him dead at the couple’s home. He died of a heart attack at age 74.
Final Resting Place:
3349 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, Ohio, 43202
Grave Location:Section 12, Lot 37, Space 4
Grave Location Description
As you drive into the cemetery take the first left and then the next right onto Lincoln Avenue South. Park at the intersection of Sections 11, 18 and 12. Look to your right into Section 12, 3 rows from the road and to the left of the hedges and you should see the final resting place of the infamous Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes.
Grave Location GPS40.02681962145, -83.032912216
Read More About Woody Hayes:
- Published Obituary
- Wikipedia Entry
- Beyond the Gridiron - The Life and Times of Woody Hayes2
- Ohio State Football: Woody Hayes' Downfall and the Punch Heard 'Round the World
- Woody Hayes – Ohio State Buckeyes
- Top 30 quotes of Woody Hayes famous quotes and sayings
- Ohio State legend Woody Hayes once worked as a golf blogger at the U.S. Open2
- Mr. Columbus – Jack Nicklaus never forgot his Ohio roots or Woody Hayes- PGA TOUR2
- That School Up North Irks Woody Hayes
- All Quiet at Hayes Home
- Like his private cabin in the woods, Ohio State coaching legend Woody Hayes had a hidden side - cleveland.com2
- Legacy | Woody Hayes: 100 Years On and Off the Field2