One time James Booker appeared on stage at Tipitina’s in New Orleans wearing a nappy fastened by a huge gold pin. Musician David Torkanowsky recalls the moment: “From behind the nappy, he pulls out a .357 Magnum, puts it to his own head and announces to the audience, ‘If somebody doesn’t give me some cocaine right now, I’m going to fucking pull the trigger.'” Good times, good times …
At one point in his short life, Booker paid his bills by holding down a job at City Hall in the Department of Economic Analysis. Seems he had a photographic/mathematical mind where you could show him a column of figures, and he’d scan it down and add them all up like a calculator. A highly functioning mind in some ways but also a very secretive facade about the man.
Final Resting Place:
Providence Memorial Park
8200 Airline Drive
Metairie, Louisiana, 70003
Grave Location:Booker Family Crypt
Grave Location Description
As you enter the cemetery drive straight back to the outdoor mausoleum. Walk to the far left outside wall and the Piano Prince of New Orleans crypt is on the fourth row to the left.
Grave Location GPS29.975436908059113, -90.22926272987796
Read More About James Booker:
- Wikipedia Entry
- The dazzling, devious, doomed sound of James Booker
- Cocaine boogie: James Booker, the tragic piano genius of New Orleans
- James Booker Was Hands Down the Greatest New Orleans Piano Player Ever
- The New Orleans Jazz Genius Who Could Never Be Contained In An Album
- 'The best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced'
- James Booker: Making the Insipid Sublime
- All About Jazz - James Booker
- Booker and the Bay
- About Booker - New Orleans - Bayou Maharajah
- Reviving James Booker, The 'Piano Prince Of New Orleans'
- The mystery of James Booker